Anyone else doing the CPC Modules?

Unfortuntely, my company only allows 1 module at a time...one module down (dist & loans), three years to go...

Is that a cost thing? Or they think you are so busy that you can't study for more than one at a time.

I found that the 5 months I took was enough time for the first 4. (Though I kind of lollygagged through April & MAy and had to buckle down in June)

I think a bit of both. We are going to try to convince them that 2 per semester is not unreasonable. I think I studied for 2-3 weeks at the most for the one I took this spring.

Do they pay up front or do they reimburse you? If the former, maybe you can say, "I'll front the costs if you reimburse me when I pass." This way, there is no risk on the Employer's part.

Initials and "EDUCATION"; what else is there? Not being sarcastic, but that is it. You do get a higher level of education. However, it doesn't end with the CPC; it begins. Rules are constantly changing. The CPC (at least when I took it) focused more on how you approach situations as opposed to whether you can answer a question correctly.

Look at it this way: I can tell you that 1 + 1 is equal 2. You can remember that and provide that answer anytime the question is asked. But, it is only when you 'learn to add' that you'll be able solve other equations without relying on mere memory. In our industry, certain percentage knows 'only what they were told and remembered', but no why or how. I think the CPC modules (at least when I took them) focused on ensuring a consistent and relevant thought pattern on any particular issue.

Not sure what other's experiences were (are), but thought this worth mentioning.

Good Luck!

Initials and "EDUCATION"; what else is there? Not being sarcastic, but that is it. You do get a higher level of education. However, it doesn't end with the CPC; it begins. Rules are constantly changing. The CPC (at least when I took it) focused more on how you approach situations as opposed to whether you can answer a question correctly.

Look at it this way: I can tell you that 1 + 1 is equal 2. You can remember that and provide that answer anytime the question is asked. But, it is only when you 'learn to add' that you'll be able solve other equations without relying on mere memory. In our industry, certain percentage knows 'only what they were told and remembered', but no why or how. I think the CPC modules (at least when I took them) focused on ensuring a consistent and relevant thought pattern on any particular issue.

Not sure what other's experiences were (are), but thought this worth mentioning.

Good Luck!

The education can be obtained without the initials. The initials are important for different reasons. When I was atarting out in my twenties, the QPA was important to allow clients to presume my competency while giving me time to prove it. At this stage of my career, I don't need the initials to give me that time. My reputation does. I got the ERPA because I needed the ability to represent clients with a power of atty. That wasn't for the initials or education.

So I was wondering.

There are several reasons (for me).

(In no particular order)

1. Career. I may or may not be at my current company for the next 10 years or more. The CPC designation is a helpful line-item on a resume.

2. Professional. It can't hurt if and when I'm brought in to help woo potential clients.

3. Closure. It's a sense of "finish what I started."

4. Education. At least with the modules, I have a deeper understanding of some of the topics I deal with day-to-day.

5. Initials. The more the merrier! ;)

• Like 2