Impact of the Supreme Court's DOMA decision on governmental plans

Employee benefits legal resource site

The opinions of my postings are my own and do not necessarily represent my law firm's position, strategies, or opinions. The contents of my postings are offered for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. A visit to this board or an exchange of information through this board does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult directly with an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation. I am not your lawyer under any circumstances.

Same sex couples will not be eligible for tax benefits in all circumstances. For example, tax exemption for health insurance benefit may only apply to same sex married couples living in 13 states & DC that recognize same sex marriage because IRS has relied on law of state where couple resides to determine if they are married under IRC since there is no statutory definition or regulation of spouse under tax law. See NYT article list of Known unknowns under federal laws. In other words same sex couple married in MD who reside in VA may not be married couple under IRC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/your-money/how-the-supreme-court-ruling-will-affect-same-sex-spouses.html?pagewanted=all

mjb

Yes, I actually dealt at length with those uncertainties in my article.

Employee benefits legal resource site

The opinions of my postings are my own and do not necessarily represent my law firm's position, strategies, or opinions. The contents of my postings are offered for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. A visit to this board or an exchange of information through this board does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult directly with an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation. I am not your lawyer under any circumstances.