Plan Year End

Pension RC

I am working on a plan that terminated 12/31/2012. There are four participants - a husband and wife (owners) and two employees. The final two distributions were in September 2013, when each of the two owners took a reduced benefit (since the assets weren't suffcient). At the end of September the account balance was $0.52. In October, there were $64 in dividends that were promptly transferred pro-rata, to the two owners. At the end of October, the account balance was $0.30. In early November, the remaining 30 cents was transferred out and the account was closed. For the 5500-SF. Would the plan year end be 9/30/2013 or 11/30/2013?

Any help would be appreciated!

:rolleyes:

....or the actual November date on which the account went to zero.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

5500 is due 7 months after the end of the month when assets were distributed, so I would use that date. Is there any place else you would use that date?

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.