circumferentially speaking

Thank you.

I did envision a scenario where someone applying for a Government Accounting Office job had to take a mathematics exam. The sole question was this:

You have a 9-inch diameter pie. What is the area, in square inches, of the pie? Show your work.

Candidate's worksheet:

The accepted formula is Pi(rsquared). But pie aren't square, pie are round. So we must first get the circumference of the pie, which is Pi(D), which is 3.14 x 9 which equals 28.26 inches. Then we multiply that times 3.14, which equals 88.74 square inches.

Result? Pass!

Applicants for advanced level positions get the question:

You have a 9-inch cake. What is the area, in square inches, of the cake? Show your work.

Passing the exam depends on knowing that cake are square, so you can use the accepted formula of pi x (9 square).

Yes, it gets tricky if you find a round cake, but you can simply eat parts until it's square, and then everything is OK again. (It must be Friday.)

And of course, it was open 22/7.

I couldn't find the original posting of this slice of humor, but I did find your prognostication of the complete pi day date in 2 years. Since it will fall on a Monday, maybe it could be a new federal holiday! :D

• Like 1