Communicating Benefits as an Employer - per employee cost

Back in benefits after an 8 year hiatus. My organization currently has no budget for communicating benefits to employees. We mail various notices to employees as required by law, and (still) send out paper open enrollment packets to all employees which are printed in-house as needed, and the cost just absorbed in administrative overhead. I have no way to track what has been sent or spent over the past 5 years. I'd like to change this.

As a general rule of thumb, what do you expect to spend on a per employee, per year basis to communicate benefits to your employees? No staff costs, just the hard costs of printing and mailing (including the cost of any professional services used for design, production, etc.), and electronic communication costs if you track it separately. If possible to split out cost between paper and electronic media, that would be great. But even a composite figure would be most helpful. I'm just trying to get an idea of what a basic, professional communication plan should cost so I can start moving my organization in that direction. Currently we do all of our own printing on big printers, no color, stapled in the corner, and have no professionally produced materials of any kind. Unfortunately, I think this low budget low tech approach sets the tone for the value that employees perceive from our benefit program. I think we can do better.

Thanks in advance for your insights.