Testing age

Richard Anderson

Yes, SBJPA allows testing age to be the social security retirement age. Some plan documents will define how the test is done. If the document defines the testing age as 65 or the plan's normal retirement age, then an amendment would be required in order to use a different definition for testing age.

I know the regs say you can use soc sec ret age, but I have also seen some comments indicating the IRS is insisting that the retirement age = soc sec, which of course they won't let you do. go and figure.

I also seem to recall reading something recently that would imply if you use soc ec ret age, then for testing you break ees into groups of age 65,66,and 67.

without knowing for sure the IRS stance, I would be careful about using soc sec ret age.

I know the regs say you can use soc sec ret age, but I have also seen some comments indicating the IRS is insisting that the retirement age = soc sec, which of course they won't let you do. go and figure.

I also seem to recall reading something recently that would imply if you use soc ec ret age, then for testing you break ees into groups of age 65,66,and 67.

without knowing for sure the IRS stance, I would be careful about using soc sec ret age.