Does anyone know what the term "super comparability plan" me

John A

I have heard of various terms for "new comparability" plans - third-generation, qualified bonus, super-integrated, etc. I had not heard the term "super comparability" before. Can someone explain what a "super comparability" plan is and where this term came from? Thanks.

I suspect its the same thing as super-integrated.

isn't it odd how the terminology has evolved.

I have heard many use the term age-weighted to mean any cross tested plan.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pete Alles

I was digging for info on cross-tested plans and found an article defining qualified bonus retirement plans, second and third generation plans, and super-integrated new comparability plans. Its in the Journal of Pension Benefits titled "The Qualified Retirement Bonus Plan", Fall 1996. The author,Kevin Fliege, refers to the super-integrated plan as using a formula similar to normal safe harbor integrated formulas, but ignoring limitations to the formulas because the plans are general tested. The plans might use a contribution formula such as 3 percent of pay, plus 50 percent in excess of $100,000. He says the qualified bonus retirement plan is a third generation new coparability plan that differs from second generation new comparability plans in that contributions are tied to performance incentives, such as bonuses.

Guest rshawlaw

Super comparability is the term I have heard for the design utilizing both 401(k) 3% nonelective safe harbor and new comparability. Because the 3% safe harbor contribution provides triple-duty (avoids ADP testing, satisfies top-heavy minimums, and performs the foundation for the new comparability formula), you have more than just new comparability:"super comparability."

------------------

RWS