Sign in to follow this  
david rigby

Spurious Correlations

I can't get over the idea that several times as many people died by getting tangled in their bedsheets than died from being electrocuted by high-voltage power lines (both as reported by the CDC).

Who knew?

Also, I am not so sure that the correlation between arcade income and the number of computer majors is a false correlation. Think about it. Arcade income comes in large part from video games. Computer majors like video games, and after they graduate, what better work is there for them?

or put another way

deaths by bedsheet strangulation in 2000 = 327

population was 281,421,906 according to the census

or

odds of being strangled by bedsheet in year 2000 was 1 in 860,617

odds of winning $10,000 in powerball 1 in 698,976

just think, instead of sleeping those folks should have bought a powerball ticket

• Like 1

or put another way

deaths by bedsheet strangulation in 2000 = 327

population was 281,421,906 according to the census

or

odds of being strangled by bedsheet in year 2000 was 1 in 860,617

odds of winning $10,000 in powerball 1 in 698,976

just think, instead of sleeping those folks should have bought a powerball ticket

Two comments on this:

1. Just to be sure it's understood - that's the chances of buying one powerball ticket and winning $10,000 vs being strangled by the bedsheets during an entire year.

2. But wouldn't that be the ultimate irony? Buy a powerball ticket, win $10,000 and then be strangled by the bedsheets!

2. But wouldn't that be the ultimate irony? Buy a powerball ticket, win $10,000 and then be strangled by the bedsheets!

That depends. Did you iron-y the sheets?

I never knew the dangers I faced by watching Nicholas Cage movies in my swimming pool ... or that I would have faced if I had a swimming pool.

do you supposed there are any "helpers" around when these people die by being entangled in bed sheets?

Cool posting. Thanks, Mr. Rigby.