Wraparound SPD

Guest Jeff Kropp

Guest Jeff Kropp

We are contemplating using a wraparound SPD for a welfare program, under which various duplicate provisions are placed in one tabbed section (e.g., COBRA rights, ERISA statement, claims procedures).

However, we are not sure if it is worth the cost and time associated with creating these sections, where the individual plan docs have been amended and are ready to go.

Obviously, wraparounds are a good idea in the long run, but is it worth is for smaller employers (I typically see them with Fortune 500 companies and large multiemployer plans).

Any thoughts?

------------------

Guest Chuck Miller

My first thought is how much do you value good benefit communications with your partcipants? A wraparound is easier to use than trying to find information in several booklets. It allows you to improve the lanaguage and organization of your SPDs; make the information more user-friendly.

My suggestion would be to create the wraparound in a three-ring binder so you can easily replace pages as you change benefits or plans. I don't like the idea that ever time you change something you need a new booklet.