How many continuing-professional-education hours are required of you?

I hope BenefitsLink readers will help me crowdsource a little academic task.

The goal is to get a general sense, which at this stage may be anecdotal rather than scientific, of how many continuing-professional-education hours are required of each of several kinds of professionals.

Are actuaries, accountants, attorneys, enrolled agents, enrolled retirement plan agents, certified financial analysts, certified financial planners, and other professionals similar or different in what each license requires?

How many CPE hours? In what measurement period?

Is the CPE requirement a condition of a governmental license or privilege? Or is the CPE requirement a condition of using an association's trademark or certification mark?

I'll start: I must do 12 CLE hours a year. But this need not be evenly paced because there are three-year cycles, and there are limited carry-forwards of some credits not used in a previous cycle. This CLE requirement is a condition of my license to practice law in Pennsylvania.

So how many continuing-professional-education hours are required of you?

I find that meeting my ERPA requirements (a Government issued license) satisfies the ASPPA issued certifications (CPC, QPA, QKA, TGPC). ERPA requires 72 hours of CPE over a three year period; however, you may not take less than 16 hours in any one of those years. A minimum of 2 hours of Ethics must be taken each year.

Not sure if this helps.

Good Luck!

Enrolled Actuaries have a 3-year renewal cycle. Each cycle requires at least 36 hours; of these, at least 18 hours must be "core" material. At least 2 hours must be related to ethics.

BTW, one cycle I was slow getting my credits, completing only 37, and at the last minute. I'm not claiming this is why the JBEA audited me, but I'm just saying. I vowed to make sure that all future renewal cycles include credits at least 50% more than the minimum.

Just an FYI - lawyers CE requirements will vary from state to state. I have licenses in Ohio and Virginia, and the requirements are different. Ohio requires 24 hours every 2 years (with the first half of the alphabet due at the end of the calendar year (12/31) in odd numbered years, and the last half in even numbered years). Of that, there is a "professionalism component" (2.5 hours, I believe). Half of the hours can be earned on-line with self study. Virginia requires (last time I checked - as my license is "inactive" since I do nothing in the "commonwealth") 12 hours every year - based on a fiscal year ending 6/30 - with some hours for "ethics" or professionalism. I used to keep the Virginia license active - but it required taking at lest 6 hours in each half of the calendar year to count towards both requirements - with the ethics part interspersed appropriately.... Too confusing for me....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CPA's are generally required to have 120 hours in 3 years or 80 hours every 2 years. Often no minimum per year. 4 hours in ethics required every renewal cycle (so either every 2 or 3 years). CPAs are licensed by state so those will vary state to state but 40 hours average has been consistent across 3 west coast states I have been licensed in.