stock fund in supplemental 401(k)

Rather than play a guessing game, how about providing some relevant information, such as whether or not the stock is publicly traded and what you mean by a supplemental 401(k)?

No matter what, an employer stock investment option increases complexity and potential for trouble, especially if elective contributions are eligible.

Do you mean a NQ plan? How about Federal and State securities registration issues, for starters? Perhaps not a reason not to, but at least a consideration.

I oversimplified the question. Stock is publicly traded (registration not an issue), and supplemental plan is a NQ plan that mirrors a 401(k) except that the Code's limits are not taken into consideration. I understand that some employers don't offer employer stock in their supplemental plan despite that all other 401(k) investments (deemed) are available in the supplemental plan.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, all investments are deemed investments so the plan remains unfunded. So any offering of employer stock would be a deemed investment. I'm thinking there may be an accounting reason because I can't determine any ERISA/securities laws reasons.