tax & coffee

Rollover of SOLELY after-tax amounts

6 posts in this topic

Mandatory employee contributions to a governmental 401(a) DB are after-tax. If an employee separates from service prior to becoming fully vested, they may elect to take an ERD of after-tax employee contributions (no employer contributions or earnings). Is the employee permitted to initiate a direct rollover to another eligible plan or IRA of these solely after-tax employee contributions?

How would the pro rata rule apply in a scenario where the only amounts eligible to be rolled out are after-tax monies? The pre-tax earnings remain in the Fund due to the employee lacking sufficient creditable service to vest in employer contributions and any attributable earnings on in the Fund.

It wouldn't. Assuming there is nothing to distribute other than basis (after tax employee contributions) then there is no pro-rata.

I make no statement as to whether it is permissible to pay zero interest on the accumulated employee contributions - that's a separate question, which some of the DB experts can doubtless answer.

After reviewing the link provided in the previous post again it doesn't answer your question. 2014-54 also does not appear to answer your question. I guess a question could be asked of whether any interest was earned on the after-tax employee funds contributed? I see your point regarding the pro-rata rule; there is no ERD of other money.