jpod

457(b) catch-ups

5 posts in this topic

Governmental employer has agreed to make the maximum annual contribution permitted for a senior manager to a 457(b) Plan, i.e., a non-elective contribution. Does the extra $6,000 catch-up have to be elective, or can it be non-elective?

Just at a very quick look without any analysis/cross checking, it seems like 1.414(v)-1(g)(2) defines an "elective deferral" as including "any" contribution to a section 457 eligible governmental plan.

That's exactly what I am thinking. It never occurred to me that it could be non-elective, and I don't recall ever hearing anything about it, but I found that little nugget too. I am just wondering if it is as simple as that and if anyone with experience with non-elective 457(b) governmental plans can confirm this.

jpod, depending on what your client has asked of you and other circumstances, you might consider whether an agreed-to contribution is within or beyond the employer's powers.

Under some States' laws (and sometimes depending on exactly which kind or class of State or local government entity the employer is), a governmental employer might lack power to provide a nonelective contribution.

I have seen an employer, after a financial-statements auditor detected the employer's payment of agreed-upon but unauthorized contributions, take back the improperly paid amounts with interest or investment value.

One of the interesting things about 457 is that the "elective deferral" limits apply regardless of whether the contribution is in fact elective. Even leaving aside the catch-up, the 402(g) limits apply only to elective deferrals in 401(k) or 403(b) plans, but to all contributions to 457(b) plans. In most instances, this is a down side to 457 plans. (For example, an employer match gets counted against the limit.) But it does suggest that the catch-up can be used even for nonelective contributions--assuming, as Peter says, that you have checked state law and it does not create a problem.