ERPA CE requirement

Hi,

Does anyone know if this webinar (link below), Practicing Before the IRS - Circular 230 A to Z Rebroadcast, would meet ERPA Ethics CE requirement?

In the past, IRS Webinars did state if it qualified for the ERPA credit. But it appears they do not state that anymore.... now it just says "Tax Practitioners"....

I think there are some webinars that could qualify for ERPA CE requirements, but since they do not specifically state ERPA, I am not sure......

I wonder how other ERPAs keep their CE requirements, especially those who would like to utilize all free webinars.......

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/webinars-for-tax-practitioners-1#practicing

Thanks!

It qualifies for the ERPA ethics CE requirement. Basically, if it qualifies for an Enrolled Agent it will qualify for ERPA.

Note that you can only get credit for this broadcast once though, so if you did the live version for credit you can't get credit again for the re-broadcast.

I have never had an issue with the CE requirements. I do some free IRS webinars, ASPPA annual conference, and normally a local all day seminar or two a year. I would do these regardless of the CE credit so I never really have to "chase" credits to have enough. However, it is totally possible to meet the requirements by doing the free webinars and then getting enough credits from third party CE vendors. There is a link on the IRS website of third party CE providers (it takes you to a different site):

https://ssl.kinsail.com/partners/irs/publicListing.asp

Using this list you could easily find enough credits and even shop for the lowest price per credit if budgeting is a concern...

J

• 5 months later...

I, also, usually get my credits at ASPPA annual but, due to conflicts, missed the last one. So I need some ERPA credits by mid-2017. No more free IRS webinars for credits. ERISAFile used to have an affordable package but it doesn't have it on their website anymore. I e-mailed them for more information.

What about from the vendors (ASC, Relius, etc.)? I can buy a package from Relius and even let my staff sit in for general knowledge (not CE credit) but I am wondering if that is acceptable for CE at all. Since it is a recorded webinar, they can't track attendance and there is no exam. So there is no certificate. Is that acceptable for ASPPA and ERPA? How do I prove it?

I believe you can do this using the Relius webinars through a "Qualified In-House Training Program." You would be the "Registrar" and would have some sort of an attendance form, listing the seminar, date, number of minutes, etc, where you certify that "Whoever" was in attendance for the duration of the time indicated. They would keep this form, and self-report the credits.

I don't know if you have to actually "register" such a program with Relius or not - you should probably contact them.

Sorry - they are FIS now.

Each year, I end up doing a different program. This year, I did Beacon Hill Financial Educators (bhfe.com) CPE. Just thinking, our discussions on this board should qualify as CPE. Perhaps we should reach out to the owners and see if we can get some certificates printed :) 5 minutes for each post would satisfy all my CPE :D

Good Luck!

• Like 2

ERISAFile used to have an affordable package but it doesn't have it on their website anymore. I e-mailed them for more information.

Suzanne Wynn was ERISAFile and is now with Loren D. Stark Assoc. I talked to Suzanne and they don't have immediate plans for webinars but might. FWIW.

• Like 1

I was looking at the Relius/FIS SmartPass program. $2300 for unlimited webinars for a year. But here is what it says for the recorded ones:

Please Note: Due to the inability to track attendance at this recorded event, a Letter of Participation is not provided.

So I am just trying to find out if I can self-report these for ASPPA and/or ERPA and, if so, what kind of proof I need. Thanks so much.

I was looking at the Relius/FIS SmartPass program. $2300 for unlimited webinars for a year. But here is what it says for the recorded ones:

Please Note: Due to the inability to track attendance at this recorded event, a Letter of Participation is not provided.

So I am just trying to find out if I can self-report these for ASPPA and/or ERPA and, if so, what kind of proof I need. Thanks so much.

I think the chance IRS accepting a session that cannot or will not offer a letter of participation is questionable at best. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that risk knowing I could have gathered the credits elsewhere.

Since you are an ERPA, you automatically satisfy the ASPPA CE requirements and if audited by ASPPA you just provide your current enrollment card.

Oh wow. Even if the cycles are different? My ERPA doesn't need a renewal until mid-2017. The ASPPA cycle ends 12/31/16. I don't need to worry about the proper ASPPA CE credits for 12/31/16?

Also, thank you for your opinion on the ERPA credits. I would tend to agree which is why I was hesitant. So I could spend the $2300 for a year of Relius/FIS webinars and just do the live ones. I don't know if I will have enough by mid-2017. Besides bhfe, does anyone know of others where I can listen to a webinar (preferably archived since I need a bunch of credits) and get a certificate. Oh, and without a quiz would be even better :). Thanks.

Oh wow. Even if the cycles are different? My ERPA doesn't need a renewal until mid-2017. The ASPPA cycle ends 12/31/16. I don't need to worry about the proper ASPPA CE credits for 12/31/16?

Also, thank you for your opinion on the ERPA credits. I would tend to agree which is why I was hesitant. So I could spend the $2300 for a year of Relius/FIS webinars and just do the live ones. I don't know if I will have enough by mid-2017. Besides bhfe, does anyone know of others where I can listen to a webinar (preferably archived since I need a bunch of credits) and get a certificate. Oh, and without a quiz would be even better :). Thanks.

Yes, it was explained to me that as long as you satisfy your ERPA CE requirements you are deemed to satisfy your ASPPA CE. In practice, you will almost always meet your 40 credits for 2 years with ASPPA if you also meet your 16/year 72/ 3 years for ERPA.

Yes. I just found that on the CE page of ASPPA:

FSPA, MSPA and ERPAs:

If you are an FSPA, MSPA or ERPA in good standing with the IRS/JBEA with regard to meeting all required CE requirements for your related credential, you are deemed to satisfy all ARA CE requirements. However, all JBEA credits are subject to final approval by the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries and all ERPA credits are subject to final approval by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It is your responsibility to determine the amounts of credits actually earned for each category subject to the rules promulgated by their regulatory bodies and any related codes of conduct.