Lost Earnings on Late Deposits

we have an ongoing debate in our shop on whether lost earnings on late deposits should be deposited as a contribution to the impacted participant OR as earnings?

I've always had these deposited as earnings and I'm now being told they are a contribution to the participant. I feel silly debating the issue when I feel like the answer is in the what we call them "lost earnings".

Earnings. Otherwise how could you possibly make them for someone at the 415 limit?

The argument, as I have seen it before, is that the earnings portion is deposited as a QNEC contribution.

We do them as earnings, and I have never had an issue with the DOL, IRS, or an auditor (for large plans) doing it that way. I have taken over plans where earnings and contributions due to lost deferral opportunity was deposited as QNEC.

I am told that some record keepers can only post incoming deposits as contributions. Empower assures me that when they do that it is not included in the contribution total for 402(g) or 415 purposes. Not sure if they all keep that straight or not.