Can you have a 1 person "group" plan?

Belgarath

I probably don't even have enough information to properly ask this question, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I don't know whether this relates specifically to a section 125 Cafeteria plan, or some other form of welfare benefit plan. I THINK the question revolved around whether the 1-person employer could be considered as having a "group" health insurance plan, in order to be eligible for some sort of welfare plan with dependent care benefits, etc...

Does anyone know, offhand, what the governing authority is for defining a "group" plan for such purposes? Or any other pertinent items? Thanks.

Which definition of group health plan applies or is relevant turns on which law, rule, or insurance regime one seeks to apply or non-apply.

Not all definitions are the same.

Also, regarding a "micro" business, some of the definitions can be confusing or ambiguous concerning who counts (or doesn't) as an employee.

Peter Gulia PC

Fiduciary Guidance Counsel

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

215-732-1552

Peter@FiduciaryGuidanceCounsel.com

Ok - I asked the individual, and here's the actual question:

"Section 125/Cafeteria Plan and Health Reimbursement Arrangement eligibility is tied to eligibility for group health insurance; what constitutes group health insurance? Could a C Corporation owner and spouse’s coverage be considered “group” insurance or would that same owner/employee need one or more people (non-family member) to be considered group insurance?"

Thanks.

If the only worker is the one shareholder, it seems unlikely that there is a group.

But is having a group a condition for the health-insurance income tax treatment your client seeks?

Peter Gulia PC

Fiduciary Guidance Counsel

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

215-732-1552

Peter@FiduciaryGuidanceCounsel.com

Thanks. Apparently (and I'm getting this second-hand) the cafeteria plan specifies that eligibility is such that the employee must be eligible for the employer's group health insurance - or something like that. I don't know if this is a regulatory/legal requirement, or a document eligibility provision (or both). So the question is apparently whether a 1-employee plan can be considered "group" health insurance.

Does this perhaps vary by State?