Sign in to follow this  
david rigby

Moderator Editing

As a "moderator", I have often edited message titles (or occasionally, the message itself) for clarity, misspelling, etc.  Do moderators still have that ability?

Not as far as I can tell.  We've been demoted. :o

1 hour ago, Mike Preston said:

Not as far as I can tell.  We've been demoted. :o

a sad day in Benefitsville :(

You still can.

It's unbelievably obscure.

If you're on the page that lists all of the message titles ("topics") in a particular message board -- for example, Retirement Plans In General -- then what you do is to mouse over the message title that you'd like to edit (for example, "1099R Question" is the title of a recently started topic on that message board), and then click and HOLD down your mouse button while your cursor is over that title (in my example, the words "1099R Question").

In a couple of seconds (while holding down your mouse button), a small window will pop up under your cursor in which will appear the title you're wanting to edit (e.g. "1099R Question"). You then can release the mouse button and use your keyboard and arrow keys to edit the title as desired. Hit your Enter key to save the edits.

Strangely, it is not possible to use this technique on the title when you're viewing the page that shows the whole topic -- i.e., the first message (which assigned the topic's title) and the "reply" messages posted into the topic. So if you're viewing such a page and want to change the title, look for the "breadcrumbs" menu at the top of the page (e.g., "Home > Retirement Plans > Retirement Plans in General > 1099 R Question") and click on the name of the message board (e.g. "Retirement Plans in General") so that you'll be taken "up one level" to get to the page that lists all of the message titles (topics) on that particular message board. That's where you'll be able to use the mouse-over-and-click-and-hold technique, on the message title that will appear on that page in the list of message titles.

I get sub-windows of first post and last post, but no editing.

Mike, I edited my answer to make it more clear (I think). Could you take another look at it, see if it says something more specific that you didn't do before, and let me know if you still getting the first post and last post sub-windows when you click and hold on the message title?

Dave,

Thanks.

I didn't notice anything different in the description versus my previous expectation.  It doesn't work for me but let *me* try to be a bit clearer in what I'm experiencing...

When I hold my mouse over the topic (note that I'm *not* clicking anything), the first thing that happens is that the mouse cursor changes from an arrow (pointer) to a hand, then the font of the topic title changes color so that it is red, and then a tool tip pops up.  After that, about 60% of the time, a small square speech balloon appears with what appears to be an "arrow circle". Whether or not the small square speech balloon appears, the tool tip goes away and then the small square speech balloon goes away and then I get the large speech balloon pop-up window with the 2 subwindows previously described.

When I hold my mouse over the topic and hold the left-click button down, the only thing that happens, no matter how long I hold it down, is that the mouse pointer switches from a hand to a regular arrow, and when I let go of the button, the system takes me to the actual post.  This is what I would expect when the system registers me having made a left-click while pointing to the topic title.

If I right-click instead, the same thing as left-click happens except when I let go I get the usual right-click sub-menu ("Open Link in new tab...., etc.).

Hope this helps.

Mike (and other moderators) -

We've tinkered with some of the (deeply buried) settings in the new software - I believe moderator editing has been fully restored.

If you view any message thread, you should now see an "edit" link at the end of each message.  If you click on that link for the first message (i.e., the one that started the topic), you should be able to edit the title and the text.  If you click on that link for any other message in the thread, you should be able to edit the text of that message.[We can. :-)]

Please let me know if that works for you ... if not, we'll keep digging.