If our Administrator cuts a check for distributions, does the Administrator issue a 1099 or a W-2?

We have a NQDC Plan.  When a distribution comes due, the Administrator sends the money we have set aside to us, we cut a check to the participant, and we issue a W-2.

The Administrator said it can cut the check to the participant itself, but since the check will be coming from them, they will have to issue a 1099.

I've always understood that NQDC distributions are to be issued with a W-2, since the money represents compensation earned from an employer for work performed.  Would it be appropriate to allow the Administrator to cut the check and issue a 1099?  Can the Administrator legally issue a W-2?  

Another option might be for the Administrator to cut the check, send any withholdings to us, and then we issue a W-2 from that point.  But the point of the change to to have the Administrator take over the entirety of the distribution process, so that is not ideal.

This might also depend on the definition of "we" and "Administrator".

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

Just now, david rigby said:

This might also depend on the definition of "we" and "Administrator".

I see what you mean.  "We" are the employer of the participants / the company that runs the NQDC plan (a single entity).  Administrator is the outside company that we hired to run the plan -- perhaps "record keeper" would be a better word?

I always wonder about this question. All the NQ plans I've encountered with outside recordkeepers, rabbi trustees, or employer-owned custodial accounts usually run the distributions through the employer's payroll. Often I'll see the employer request a check from the trust/account payable to the company, and the company in turn issues a check to the employee through the company's payroll. Or sometimes issues the check first and then requests reimbursement from the trust or custodial account.

I would not expect the outside administrator to be able to do the w-2 withholding calculations without being provided at the very least the w-4 and the year to date FICA withholding amounts (in case the limit has already been reached). To me, this is 100% a payroll function and my experience matches that of EBECatty.  I would not expect the administrator to do either a 1099 or a W-2.  I don't see how this would be a good process to outsource at all, nor do I know of any companies that do so (especially since the administrator is giving you bad advice on how they could do it if you force them to do so)

NQDC is always reported via W-2 unless it's a death benefit paid to a beneficiary, then 1099R is appropriate. There should be no FICA/Medicare issues because that should have been applied along the way - unless amounts did not vest until just before payments were to begin (or it was a DB SERP where the PVAB was not reasonably ascertainable until commencement). Regardless, it is more a payroll function than a TPA or trustee/custodian function as HR stated.

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

Caution.  The Employer should not assume that FICA has already been applied.  Check your records.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.