It was 50 years ago today

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released 6/1/1967.  A co-worker of mine for the last 15 years said he's never heard of it.  Inconceivable. 

- There are two types of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets...

Surprising what people born in the last 40 years (hey, that's consistent with the person having been a co-worker for 15 years!) have never heard of.  I myself am trying to get over the idea that "All the Single Ladies" is now considered an oldie.

Inconceivable?  You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Always check with your actuary first!

14 hours ago, XTitan said:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released 6/1/1967.  A co-worker of mine for the last 15 years said he's never heard of it.  Inconceivable. 

A clear demonstration of the failure of the School of Experiences.  Sgt. Pepper is to Rock and Roll what anything Mozart composed is to Classical.

Somethings are timeless.  Those who are ignorant of them must be in some sort of (sound and culture proof) bubble.

Sgt. Pepper is my most played iPod (classic, 160gb version - which itself is an "oldie") album.  AND(!!!!) for Christmas my fiance bought me a new turntable - and the day after I went out and bought a remastered SGT. PEPPER LP.....  Bliss.  Pure bliss....

I can relate - can't decide if it's funny or just makes me feel old when all the "kids" I work with don't get my pop culture references - and way more recent than Beatles. Just yesterday, a reference to Stevie Van Zandt (E Street Band, Sopranos, Lilyhammer) got numerous "I don't know who that is" - you're killin' me Smalls!

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

Just now, K2retire said:

My husband's retirement gig is driving for a limo company. A couple of years ago he had great fun driving Neil Sedaka. They sang in the car all the way to the airport. Neither my husband's co-workers nor mine had any idea who he was.

Dog gone it.  Now I've got a Captain and Tennille song rattling around my head (lot of empty space there) where the lyric hides Toni singing "Sedaka's baaaaccckkkk...."

50 minutes ago, K2retire said:

My husband's retirement gig is driving for a limo company. A couple of years ago he had great fun driving Neil Sedaka. They sang in the car all the way to the airport. Neither my husband's co-workers nor mine had any idea who he was.

Probably fun for both of them!

So had any of those co-workers ever heard of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Always check with your actuary first!

one of the pension parody songs I did was Cat's in the Cradle (1974). not quite 50 years, but getting there.

One always hopes when choosing a song that at least some of the people have heard the original. one lady in the crowd informed me later that she got a big kick out of the parody because it turned out her husband played back up drummer for Harry Chapin.

The plan arrived just the other day

The company added a 401(k)

They put in a match, and what can I say

I deferred in the usual way

The cash was growin’ ‘fore I knew it, as I put away

I’d say, “I’ll have a lot some day, yeah

You know I’ll have a lot some day.”

And the cat’s in the cradle and the silver spoon,

Little boy blue and the man in the moon.

“When will I retire?, well I don’t know when,

But I’ll have a good time then

You know I’ll have a good time then.

The plan turned 10, just the other day

I said “Thanks for it all, I’m doing okay”

I invested low, now its high today

I’m glad I deferred 10% of pay

As I saved away, my wife her smile never dimmed

Said she “I admire him, yeah,

You know I admire him.”

Refrain

The plan was tested just the other day

It failed ADP in a big time way

They put in a QNEC once in a while

Good news for me I said with a smile

The deferrals were too high for the HCEs

See you later, can I thank them please?

Refrain

I retired just the other day

I was sick of work and the rate of pay

But I said “The 401(k) was such a good find

The money is there and it grew over time”

Well the job it was a hassle, but now I’m free

I recommend you save like me

Recommend you save like me.

Refrain

all kidding aside, today (6/6) is 73rd anniversary of D-Day. Many thanks to those who gave their lives for freedom's sake.

As an avid Harry Chapin fan, all I can say is "Wow.  [groan]  wow  [groan]"

(and ditto on 6/6)

Kudos! And agree on the D-Day as well. Sadly, most of those involved have passed on to greener pastures, but we salute their memory.

On a lighter note, and meaning no disrespect with my switch over to my strange sense of humor, it also happens to be the 36th anniversary of my wedding day. A fairly heroic undertaking (on my part, not hers, naturally)!

6 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

Kudos! And agree on the D-Day as well. Sadly, most of those involved have passed on to greener pastures, but we salute their memory.

On a lighter note, and meaning no disrespect with my switch over to my strange sense of humor, it also happens to be the 36th anniversary of my wedding day. A fairly heroic undertaking (on my part, not hers, naturally)!

Congratulations Belgarath - to you and that saint you married....  Obviously she has a lot of patience!  :D

Thanks.

I maintain that she knows a good thing when she has it. She maintains that she is paying her debt to society by preventing some other poor soul from being stuck with me.

Sadly, I believe the preponderance of the evidence is against me...

Congrats Belgareth!

one of the things I truly like about the posts, when they sometimes 'switch' to other insights.

MoJo: for me, Cat's in The Cradle is a classic, partly because it is so true. we can go along and get so busy in our own life we miss things if we are not careful. remembering the words of his song helps me pause and take time out along the way. one of the very first parodies I attempted.   

36 minutes ago, Tom Poje said:

Congrats Belgareth!

one of the things I truly like about the posts, when they sometimes 'switch' to other insights.

MoJo: for me, Cat's in The Cradle is a classic, partly because it is so true. we can go along and get so busy in our own life we miss things if we are not careful. remembering the words of his song helps me pause and take time out along the way. one of the very first parodies I attempted.   

It is a classic.  Many of Harry's songs have a similar theme.  A Better Place to Be - about not missing love when right in front of you.  Taxi about lost love and not being able to go back and have a do-over.  WOLD about choices that have consequences.  Circle, well, all about life.  Greatest Stories Live is my "travellin' music."

• Dave Baker changed the title to It was 50 years ago today
  • 1 month later...

Just seeing this thread.  A late congratulations to Belgarath and Poledra (I had to look it up).  Google says:

Poledra, wife to Belgarath, mother of twins Polgara and Beldaran, ancestress of Belgarion. Poledra is called the "Woman Who Watches" in the Mrin Codex. Originally a wolf who learned to take human form after observing Belgarath