forfeiture reallocations

ok so the client isn't going to make any profit share for the plan year.  there are forfeitures to be reallocated.  Most vendors (even some of the largest in the 401k arena) don't have an easy mechanism for the forfeiture reallocation process.  Yes - they allow a "contribution" and then fund it with forfetiures but then it shows on the annual reports as a contribution and not as a forfeiture reallocation.  Why does this seem to be so difficult...?!  I understand that the forfeiture reallocation is a contribution of sorts, but since it isn't deductible again I would like it to show as a forfeiture reallocation and NOT as a contribution.

mostly just venting but was wondering what others thoughts are on this.

Mmmm, of all the complaints I have about vendors, that's one I've never had.  (Just musing.)

I think in any scenario where forfeitures reduce an employer contribution the total allocation is going to show up as a contribution, no?  (So the "contribution" is really an "allocation" and the deduction doesn't equal the total allocated.)  Is this really any different?

Ed Snyder

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 3:10 PM, pmacduff said:

ok so the client isn't going to make any profit share for the plan year.  there are forfeitures to be reallocated.  Most vendors (even some of the largest in the 401k arena) don't have an easy mechanism for the forfeiture reallocation process.  Yes - they allow a "contribution" and then fund it with forfetiures but then it shows on the annual reports as a contribution and not as a forfeiture reallocation.  Why does this seem to be so difficult...?!  I understand that the forfeiture reallocation is a contribution of sorts, but since it isn't deductible again I would like it to show as a forfeiture reallocation and NOT as a contribution.

mostly just venting but was wondering what others thoughts are on this.

What vendor are you using? 

• 3 weeks later...

This particular one was for American Funds Premier.  AND AF charged the client $100 because they said it could only be done manually.  There are other vendors that don't charge (for example Empower) but still have to do it "manually" where I send them in a spreadsheet and they do the forfeiture reallocation from that.