Contributing to SEP and PSP in same year

mjf624

Hello,

I have a client that had a business with employees and maxed out his profit sharing / 401k for 2016 ($59,000.) He sold business and terminated plan prior to end of 2016.  He then received consulting income from the company that purchased his business as a 1099 consultant.  Can he contribute under a SEP - consulting income and max this contribution for 2016 also?  Thank you.

I would say "no" because he did own part of that business during the year.  There "may" be an argument that in order for a controlled group to actually exist, that the businesses must exist at the same time, but that would appear aggressive.  Ideally, if someone has sold a business close to the end of the year, then they would not receive the discretionary contribution (assuming discretion) necessary to reach the $59,000 limit.  It would be convenient for them to 'double up' on the limit for income derived from "the same business".

There may be a another argument of a Management Group since 100% of his consulting revenue came from the business that he owned during the year.

I'm just shooting from the hip with reasons that I wouldn't do it :-)  Others may articulate a well documented pattern to show a direct conflict with the rules.  Then again, someone else may present an argument to suggest it can be done.  I'm just saying with "what I know off-hand" that I wouldn't do it.

Good Luck!

CPC, QPA, QKA, TGPC, ERPA

20 minutes ago, ETA Consulting LLC said:

I would say "no" because he did own part of that business during the year.  There "may" be an argument that in order for a controlled group to actually exist, that the businesses must exist at the same time, but that would appear aggressive.  Ideally, if someone has sold a business close to the end of the year, then they would not receive the discretionary contribution (assuming discretion) necessary to reach the $59,000 limit.  It would be convenient for them to 'double up' on the limit for income derived from "the same business".

There may be a another argument of a Management Group since 100% of his consulting revenue came from the business that he owned during the year.

I'm just shooting from the hip with reasons that I wouldn't do it :-)  Others may articulate a well documented pattern to show a direct conflict with the rules.  Then again, someone else may present an argument to suggest it can be done.  I'm just saying with "what I know off-hand" that I wouldn't do it.

Good Luck!

Great thanks for the help!

Assuming 50% or more owner of business he sold, he has an annual aggregated 415 limit with any other "business" he owns 50% or more - including self employment income - so without a doubt he absolutely cannot do SEP in same year on that income.

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, but the "replacing 80% with 50%" modification, for 415 purposes, applies ONLY to 1563(a)(1) parent-subsidiary groups. Doesn't sound like that is the case here.

If both entities were corporations, and they did not exist at the same time for any period whatsoever, then I would assert that there is no controlled group. Now, if one business was unincorporated, for example, then that's a different situation.

Belgarath, so some guy owns 70% of 2 businesses, there are 2 separate 415 limits for 2 separate plans (assume no overlap in ownership on the other 30)?

I looked at the regs and it sure does seem that way.  It seems to me that at least in the small business world, where frankly we don't see parent/sub relationships, this rule is "almost" moot.

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

Reminds me of a story from long ago.  A lawyer representing super-talents would create multiple organizations that were 79.99% owned by the talent and 20.01% owned by unrelated individuals. Who were the individuals?  Why, the lawyer's law partners (as individuals).  Big, big law firm so no control. How did I find out? When an accountant for one of the entities was unhappy with the TPA and we took over a case that had the same super-talent as a participant as another plan of ours. To make it "legit" the plans each had both as benefitting (and this was before 401(a)(26) made it mandatory, I think).  Sweet little deal for the lawyer's partners (between the "compensation" they were paid and the benefits).

Well, partnerships really never own corporations in the samll business world (never ever say never).  Hmmm... How about a 1040 Schedule C guy who also owns 70% of a partnership?  One limit or tow?  How about if it was a corporation?

Seems like there is a trap for the unwary somewhere!

For example, in my example in my prior post, would the ownership of one company be attributed tot he other thus resulting in a parent sub relationship after attribution.  You get the idea.

So normally when someone gets paid consulting income, the accountant will then turn around and produce a Schedule C since there is most likely some sort of expense related to the consulting company (for example, accountant's fees to prepare return.)

Therefore, for example, owned original business from 1/1/2000 and sold 8/1/16 under a S-Corp and owner made over $265,000 max comp.  Let's call this company XYZ Trucking Company.  Has 4 other employees and owner contributed max $60,000 under 4k/psp plan.  Owner (John Doe) owned 100% of this company up until 8/1/16 and sold 100% of company to national firm. 

Then paid from 8/2/16 to 12/31/16 consulting income via 1099 non employee compensation which the accountant turns into a Schedule C.   This would be called John Doe Consulting with different tax id.  Wants to max out the compensation from this company as a SEP.  John Doe owns 100% of this company.

Not sure if this helps.

Jash, FWIW, I'm not sure we are necessarily disagreeing, but perhaps stating it a bit differently. I read it as applying to businesses under common control, but in the context of determining a parent-subsidiary common control relationship for 415 purposes.

For example, if I own 100% of corp A, and individually am a 55% partner in partnership B/C, this is not subject to 415(h). Similarly, (according to unofficial IRS comments) if I am a sole prop, and also am a 55% partner in partnership B/C, this also does not subject me to 415(h).

If, on the other hand, I own 100% of corporation A, and the corporation itself is a 55% partner in partnership B/C, then yes, 415(h) applies, because this is now in a parent-subsidiary context, and would be considered under "common control" for 415 purposes.

Not sure what others may think. I'll be interested to hear everyone's thoughts - maybe I'm just looking at this all wrong.

That seems to be what the regs say, they explicitly in plain English carve out brother/sister.  You do have to scratch your head and wonder what the heck they were thinking in treating your paragraphs 2 and 3 any differently since they are essentially the SAME.