New mortality tables for 2018 funding and lump sums

Has there been any news on which mortality tables will be used for funding and lump sums after 2017?  Unless we missed something, we would expect to hear something soon regarding this matter.  We know the proposed regs are out, but nothing final yet.  Thanks.

... and the lobbying effort has been pretty high.  This is one recent letter

https://www.americanbenefitscouncil.org/pub/?id=7135af29-dd10-6e4f-6362-20d794d1329e

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

There is nothing about the proposed tables that any enrolled actuary could have difficulty in using.  The proposed regs include totally static tables (varying only by age and sex, with or without the small plan combination of pre-retirement and post-retirement rates, as had been the case for each prior year).  Who can't do calculations using a static mortality table (even if the q's differ from any prior table)?  There is no requirement to use dynamic projections, no requirement to use a 2-dimensional projection scale (not that most practitioners would have been unable to handle that - all of the major vendor systems have been programmed to handle that and most accounting firms have been demanding the use of such rates for ASC-960 and ASC-715 purposes for the past year or two) and, for plans under 500 participants, no requirement to use separate pre-retirement and post-retirement rates.  Granted that the proposed basis needs to have hearings etc., but people should be poised to implement them quickly when they are finalized.

Always check with your actuary first!

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, My 2 cents said:

There is nothing about the proposed tables that any enrolled actuary could have difficulty in using.  The proposed regs include totally static tables (varying only by age and sex, with or without the small plan combination of pre-retirement and post-retirement rates, as had been the case for each prior year).  Who can't do calculations using a static mortality table (even if the q's differ from any prior table)?  There is no requirement to use dynamic projections, no requirement to use a 2-dimensional projection scale (not that most practitioners would have been unable to handle that - all of the major vendor systems have been programmed to handle that and most accounting firms have been demanding the use of such rates for ASC-960 and ASC-715 purposes for the past year or two) and, for plans under 500 participants, no requirement to use separate pre-retirement and post-retirement rates.  Granted that the proposed basis needs to have hearings etc., but people should be poised to implement them quickly when they are finalized.

But the ABC is sooooooo concerned that the tables will hurt participants, so we have to delay their use.

1 hour ago, acm_acm said:

But the ABC is sooooooo concerned that the tables will hurt participants, so we have to delay their use.

I thought everyone was bent out of shape thinking that the new tables would cost employers more?  How would they hurt participants? 

Always check with your actuary first!

The "...hurt participants..." reasoning is based on a stronger incentive for sponsors to freeze or terminate the plan.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.