Hurricane Irma - Outside Florida

Gruegen

Announcement 2017-13 states provides certain loan and distribution relief for "employees or former employees whose principal residence on September 4, 2017 was located in one of the Florida counties identified for individual assistance" by FEMA caused by Hurricane Irma.

However, FEMA announced on September 15, 2017 that 3 counties in Georgia (Camden, Chatham and Glynn) are now areas designated by FEMA for individual assistance. 

Should we assume that employees in these 3  Georgia counties are now eligible for the Announcement 2017-13 relief even though the literal reading of Announcement 2017-13 states it the relief is for employees in "Florida" counties?  My gut is telling me the 3 Georgia counties are now permissible, and that the IRS just rushed to get Announcement 2017-13 out the door and incorrectly put in Florida counties. Other thoughts? It should be noted that the above sentence is the only sentence in Announcement 2017-13 that mentions "Florida" counties. 

GA-2017-02 seems to grant relief to all Georgia counties

Also, the IRS page dedicated to Irma relief provides:

(EDIT:  The way the IRS updates information can be a bit confusing.  In the early days after Irma, only counties that qualified for individual assistance qualified for IRS relief.  This was later expanded to individual OR public assistance, which is a much bigger area.)

So far, the IRS filing and payment relief applies to the following localities identified by FEMA for Individual Assistance due to Hurricane Irma:

In U.S. Virgin Islands: The islands of St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas.

In Puerto Rico: The municipalities of Adjuntas, Aguas Buenas, Barranquitas, Bayamón, Camuy, Canóvanas, Carolina, Cataño, Ciales, Comerío, Culebra, Guaynabo, Hatillo, Jayuya, Juncos, Las Piedras, Loiza, Luquillo, Orocovis, Patillas, Quebradillas, Salinas, San Juan, Utuado, Vega Baja, Vieques, and Yauco.

In Florida: The IRS is now offering expanded relief to any area designated by FEMA, as qualifying for either individual assistance or public assistance in the State of Florida. This represents all 67 counties of Florida.

In Georgia: The IRS is now offering expanded relief to any area designated by FEMA, as qualifying for either individual assistance or public assistance in the State of Georgia. This represents all 159 counties of Georgia.

We are monitoring the situation closely to resolve potential tax administration issues as they are identified. The IRS often updates its information on disaster relief efforts related to Hurricane Irma. For the latest news, check this page frequently.

News Releases

Thanks RatherBeGolfing,

I am aware that Georgia has now qualified for for the 7508A relief. However, I am curious about the special retirement plan relief under Announcement 2017-13, not the 7508A relief, for Georgia individuals. Any thoughts on that?

I can't see a reason why the relief in Announcement 2017-13 would NOT apply to Georgia.  It wouldn't make sense grant 7508A relief while not granting hardship and loan relief.    2017-13 did refer to Florida counties but also included the following:

If additional areas are identified by FEMA for individual assistance because of damage related to Hurricane Irma, the relief provided in this announcement will also apply, from the date specified by FEMA as the beginning of the incident period, and that date should be substituted for references to September 4, 2017, in this announcement.

I would also note that 2017-13 refers to areas identified for individual assistance, because that was how the IRS initially limited the relief in Florida.  The subsequent expansion to individual OR public assistance would include all of Georgia just like the 7508A relief.