One Plan > $250,000 But Other Plan Is Not. Form 5500 Required for Other Plan?

Employer had a 401(k)/Profit Sharing Plan, and for 2016 they put in a Cash Balance Plan.  The assets are:

Profit Sharing - $375,000
Cash Balance - $100,000 (all receivable)

Since the assets between the two plans are greater than $250k, is a 5500 required to be filed for the Cash Balance as well?  I'm actually not seeing the $250,000 requirement in the instructions directly, so I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Which instructions? I just pulled this from 2016 5500-EZ instructions.

Who Does Not Have To File Form 5500-EZ

You do not have to file Form 5500-EZ for the 2016 plan year for a one-participant plan if the total of the plan's assets and the assets of all other one-participant plans maintained by the employer at the end of the 2016 plan year does not exceed $250,000, unless 2016 is the final plan year of the plan. For more information on final plan years, see Final Return later.

Clearly you have to file for the CBP. And if these are not owner-only plans it doesn't matter what the assets are, you have a filing requirement.

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

unless it would otherwise qualify for EZ (owners/spouses only) filing, you have a filing requirement regardless of asset size.

and if it would qualify for EZ filing, you have a filing requirement due to asset size.

Kenneth M. Prell, CEBS, ERPA

Vice President, BPAS Actuarial & Pension Services

kprell@bpas.com

• Dave Baker changed the title to One Plan > $250,000 But Other Plan Is Not. Form 5500 Required for Other Plan?