c-1 exam in general

Guest hockeyamy

Guest hockeyamy

the c-1 exam is fairly comprehensive-as important as knowing the basics of defined contribution and defined benefit plans is that you carefully read the questions. The questions challenge your attention to detail, which of course is an important aspect of plan administration. Spend lots of time reviewing the old tests. Look for words like "NOT", "MUST", "MAY" etc.

------------------

• 2 months later...
Guest kfarmer

I will be sitting for the C-1 exam in June. I have passed the PA-1A and B courses, but am a little nervous about this test. Can anyone give and pointers?

------------------

Kristie

Apart from normal study preparation, I agree with Amy who recommended study of previous exams. They can provide experience reading and understanding what the questions actually ask for and that is crucial to success taking C-1.

The most important factor of all may be the ability to be relaxed when taking the exam. Get a good night's sleep the night before and then go do your best.

Do not get discouraged if you find the questions to be difficult, that is not unusual. Especially with ASPA exams. My test taking experience has shown that I fail tests that seem easy when I take them. So, difficult exams are positive for me. Good Luck.

Dan's advice is great. One trick I found very helpful in using the old exams was to break down my correct/incorrect ratio by chapter. This gave me terrific insight into what I was strong on and what topics I really needed to focus my studying on. When you only have a few weeks to study, that can make a huge difference.

Tom Poje has another helpful approach. He will take several years' exams, and group all the questions on a specific chapter together. It's very revealing when you see the same question asked (in different ways) over several exams--it's a good bet you'll see that question on your exam, and you will be ready for it!

Good luck!

Sue

Guest hockeyamy

with only a few weeks left-it would be great if everyone posted some interesting tidbit they have learned.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brad Markins

How did everyone do on the exam today? I have written down approximately 30 questions that I can remember. I'm going to keep thinking of questions and I will compose them all in posting tonight. Please do the same and we can compare questions and answers. I have heard that the pass mark is usually <= 70%. I think I will be right around that level on the exam. I'm very anxious to get my scores.