MERP for spread between HSA and MOOP

19 minutes ago, Flyboyjohn said:

Found the answer to my question: Yes, employer can use an HRA to reimburse the spread

Knowing nothing about the applicable rules, while I am glad that you found your answer, I am curious about what MOOP might be.  What a silly-sounding acronym!

Always check with your actuary first!

26 minutes ago, Flyboyjohn said:

Found the answer to my question: Yes, employer can use an HRA to reimburse the spread

Perhaps you can help by describing where you found the answer, for the benefit of others.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:18 PM, My 2 cents said:

Knowing nothing about the applicable rules, while I am glad that you found your answer, I am curious about what MOOP might be.  What a silly-sounding acronym!

The Moops invaded Spain and were driven out by Ferdinand and Isabella. ;-)

That answer (from Pub. 969) surprises me, because it seems to be inconsistent with the policy behind HDHPs and HSAs.  Assuming that is the correct answer, I find it hard to believe that the employer's cost in funding the HSAs and the "MOOPs" would be less than the cost of health insurance with no or a very low deductible.  

First, a small correction for the OP. The employer can actually offer a plan that covers the spread between the minimum allowed deductible and the max OOP, not just between the HSA maximum contribution limit and the max OOP. This is a common plan and referred to as a post-deductible HRA and is similar to the concept of a post-deductible FSA.

To answer jpod's post:  This is not at all inconsistent with HDHP/HSA code/regulations. "Other coverage" is only disqualifying if it pays/reimburses before the minimum allowed HDHP deductible. These are 2017 = $1300 Individual/$2600 Family and 2018 = $1350 Individual/2700 family.

Finally, while totally self-insured plans are usually only the province of very large employers, an HDHP/HSA/(post-deductible and/or limited HRA) can be very cost effective for the employer and beneficial for the employees. Self-insuring a higher deductible above the minimums and the maximum OOP will cost far less than having an insurance company do so. After all, the insurance company is making a profit. Many medium -> large sized businesses can benefit from such constructs.