Neg Flex and Cobra

Here's what SHRM has to say " For those who have ‘underspent’ accounts, COBRA must be offered, but it may be terminated at the end of the plan year in which the qualifying event occurs. COBRA coverage does not need to be offered to QBs who have ‘overspent’ their accounts at the time of the qualifying event. "   (underline mine)

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/howdoescobraapplytohealthflexiblespendingarrangements.aspx

I am unsure as to why you would even want to do so unless you are hoping to pay a few more premiums, but yet use up the last of your annual balance before paying your full annual balance.  Any premiums paid would most likely be aftertax anyway, so you wouldn't be saving anything.

When you say "not qualified for COBRA" do you mean COBRA for the FSA or for your group health plan?  One should not affect the other.  If you were covered by the group health plan before termination, then you should be COBRA-eligible for that group health plan regardless of the position you are in with regards to your FSA.

I know that I have been in an "overspent" situation for my FSA a few times, but was able to continue my health coverage using COBRA provisions.

As stated, the negative FSA balance only effects your COBRA rights to the (nonexistent) FSA balance. This does not affect your rights to get COBRA notice, make election, etc., under the employer's insured or self-insured group health plan.

Luke Bailey

Senior Counsel

Clark Hill PLC

214-651-4572 (O) | LBailey@clarkhill.com

2600 Dallas Parkway Suite 600

Frisco, TX 75034