Sign in to follow this  
david rigby

Pension payroll tracking system

I'm looking for a method to track pension payroll information for multiple plans.  The desired system would not make the payments, but would produce an output file for another system that makes the payments.  The desired system would also be modifiable to create other types of output, such as annual or monthly summaries.  I've reviewed Excel and Access templates and found nothing that seems appropriate.  Any suggestions?

• Like 1

It sounds like something that could be done in Access, but it would probably need to be custom. I doubt one exists already.

Is this basically what you want to do:

1. Calculate payments and store them in a database
  2. Extract payments in a desired format (csv perhaps) - this is one query on the db that produces one row per participant with their payment
  3. Extract payments in a summary format (again, maybe csv) - this is a different query that sums up the payments for each participant by month or year

If so - if it were me I would probably write a script and store the data in a MySQL database, and run queries against it that outputs the data into csv (or whatever) format.

Thanks.  Your synopsis is reasonably close to my need, but any SQL usage is not available. Probably only Excel or Access. 

18 hours ago, david rigby said:

Thanks.  Your synopsis is reasonably close to my need, but any SQL usage is not available. Probably only Excel or Access. 

If you're comfortable with VBA/VBScript you have access to basic SQL functionality in Office programs through Jet -- it's built in, there's nothing to download or add. Depending on your needs (and how much time and energy you have to do this) you can set up an Excel workbook as a "front end" for everything, with an Access database that just holds the data. This may or may not be overkill for what you're doing, but I figured I'd mention it's an option even if you can't or don't want to install anything extra.

Did you ever consider tracking this data thru  a payroll system?  We are a TPA, with our own payroll service, which can provide this data and can take care of remitting contributions automatically as well.

It may be overkill, but I think PensioPro has a benefit distribution tracking module in their software.  It might be an expensive solution, unless you are already using it.