Age on Uniform Lifetime Table for RMD

The IRS instructions for calculating an Required Minimum Distribution from an IRA state that you use the age that the participant will turn on his birthday in the current year. I assume that this applies to any DC plan RMD. I've been told that one could use attained age as of the last day of the prior plan year (as long your consistent year to year). Is there any basis for this?

Thanks for any responses!

well, the regs have

§1.401(a)(9)-5 Required minimum distributions from defined contribution plans.

Q-1. If an employee's benefit is in the form of an individual account under a defined contribution plan, what is the amount required to be distributed for each calendar year?

(b) Distribution calendar year. A calendar year for which a minimum distribution is required is a distribution calendar year. If an employee's required beginning date is April 1 of the calendar year following the calendar year in which the employee attains age 70 1/2, the employee's first distribution calendar year is the year the employee attains age 70 1/2. If an employee's required beginning date is April 1 of the calendar year following the calendar year in which the employee retires, the employee's first distribution calendar year is the calendar year in which the employee retires. In the case of distributions to be made in accordance with the life expectancy rule in §1.401(a)(9)-3 and in section 401(a)(9)(B)(iii) and (iv), the first distribution calendar year is the calendar year containing the date described in A-3(a) or A-3(b) of §1.401(a)(9)-3, whichever is applicable.

Q-4. For required minimum distributions during an employee's lifetime, what is the applicable distribution period?

A-4. (a) General rule. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this A-4, the applicable distribution period for required minimum distributions for distribution calendar years up to and including the distribution calendar year that includes the employee's date of death is determined using the Uniform Lifetime Table in A-2 of §1.401(a)(9)-9 for the employee's age as of the employee's birthday in the relevant distribution calendar year

but maybe who ever told you otherwise can point to 'attained age of prior year as long as you are consistent' :D I might not change the way I calculate things, but I'm willing to put it in the back of my mind as an option if it exists.