Reactions to 5/31/2000 exam?

• 1 month later...

It has been my experience with both the C-3 and C-4 exams it is somewhat of a shot in the dark when studying for the exams. You have to cover way more material that they could ever test you on.

Perhaps more frustrating is the fact that when you get your score (say it's a 6) you don't get any advice regarding what you needed to add to your answers to raise that to a passing score or even an example of what a passing answer is.

Guest AndyL

I thought the study guide was proofread by a 1st grader. It was full of typos. I thought the other required materials for the exam, however, were well-written.

Regarding the exam itself, I thought that the question about corrective distributions was unfair. I did not know it would be covered on this exam! There was nothing about corrective distributions in the study guide or in recent exams. The other questions were generally fair.

I agree with AndyH and stephen that most of the required reading was not covered on the exam, but that must be the intent of the committee that governs this exam.

I have heard comments similar to stephen's regarding failing scores. It does seem like a big problem.

This was my first time taking this exam, so I expect to fail and not know why. This time, I just want the 15 CE credits!

I wish ASPA would hurry up and post the pass list!

Thanks for the feeback. I couldn't agree more with the comments, in particular the one about corrective distributions. I was shocked that there was stuff on the exam that wasn't in any of the reading; I assumed I missed something, but now I know I'm not alone on that feeling.

What also bothered me in particular was the comp alternative stuff. For example, it said in several places that the 403(B) MEA was calculated on comp net of deferrals, which was flagrantly wrong. My recollection is this was in both the reading and the study guide. I spent a lot of time convincing myself that certain things, like that, were wrong. I would have thought they would have issued an update or addendum covering this and many other errors.

P.S. I assume by now you both know the passing grades were posted yesterday. I for one am very relieved I don't have to read this stuff again.

Guest AndyL

Unfortunately, I have not worked on many 403(B) plans, so I didn't catch that one.

I am also relieved that I don't have to read this stuff again. I consider myself very lucky to pass on the first try.

AndyH, if you work with CJL, please say "hi" for me. I haven't seen her since the party at JAK's on 1/16/99. I'm sure she's heard about the flurry of activity here in Waltham.

stephen, let us know if you passed

See you in the C-4 thread!

Congratulations to both of you on passing. I was studying to take the C-3 and ended up getting a new job. With the new job came many new responsibilities and therefore I stopped studying to focus on my new position. I do plan on taking the C-3 exam within the next year.