reminder: electronic filing shuts down for a month

Tom Poje

Planned Outage: December 6, 2017 - January 8, 2018

FIRE Prod: This service will be unavailable from approximately 6 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday, December 6, 2017, until approximately 8 a.m. Eastern time on Monday, January 8, 2018, due to planned maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I guess you can click the box

special extension

and fill in the reason as

DUH! It's late cuz I couldn't file because you shut the thing down for a month. I wasn't ready anyway, but now I have a good excuse and you can't do anything about it.

If they were in Europe, they could schedule it for August, when everybody is on vacation for the month.

Not too sure that they are obliged to treat "you were closed when the filing was due, as it always is" as an ironclad excuse.  The uncharitable question they might raise is "why weren't you ready?", but the excuse might be instead that it could not be filed since the necessary contributions, not yet overdue, had not been completed.

Don't you wish you could block off a month-long period to be unavailable?  Do they really need that much time for "planned maintenance"?  If it were an interstate highway, there would be a detour (rather than "road closed - you can't get there from here").  If waiting until the system were back up was really acceptable, then why don't they say so in advance?

Sorry if I sound a bit crabby about this, but I still remember having to hustle the first time they did this to get the handful of necessary filings in before the gates swung shut so they would not be late.

Always check with your actuary first!