Medical Hardship

Quick question on hardships for medical expenses.

Would a participant be able to claim a hardship to pay for medical insurance? My first though is/was no, but as I look at the text I am unsure as the IRC seems to suggest that they can.

The SPD says: 

The Plan does allow for hardship distributions for the following qualifying expenses:

Expenses for medical care (described in Section 213(d) of the Internal Revenue Code) for you, your spouse or your dependents....

When I look at IRC §213(d), 213(d)(1)(D) says for insurance covering medical care referred to in subparagraphs (A) and (B) or for any qualified long-term care insurance contract.

exact copy and paste of §213(d)(1)(D) from Cornell Law below:

(D) for insurance (including amounts paid as premiums under part B of title XVIII of the Social Security Act, relating to supplementary medical insurance for the aged) covering medical care referred to in subparagraphs (A) and (B) or for any qualified long-term care insurance contract (as defined in section 7702B(b)).
In the case of a qualified long-term care insurance contract (as defined in section 7702B(b)), only eligible long-term care premiums (as defined in paragraph (10)) shall be taken into account under subparagraph (D).

So, this seems to suggest that a participant can request a hardship for insurance premiums. Is there anything that I am missing that would prohibit this type of expense from being a qualified hardship?

Thanks in advance!

I believe insurance premiums for medical care are eligible for hardship distribution only if the premiums are not paid on a pre-tax basis.

Obviously other requirements may also apply if the plan doesn't use the safe harbor hardship distribution rules.