Training Courses

I am looking into training and development courses for 2 employees. One has no 401k experience and the other has some basic knowledge. I know there's a few different organizations out there that offer courses. Right now I'm looking for one that offers the basic ABC's of 401k administration.

Any suggestions?

The one mentioned in the link below...that is affiliated with CEBS is good.  Starting one on the QKA designation with ASPPA is a good one as well.  There are also local WEB or ASPPA chapters that sponsor benefit basic type sessions.  Corbel also has beginner administrator seminars, I believe.

many moons ago I tried creating some power point presentations based somewhat on the ASPPA courses, primarily for in house review and training. never completed the project, but here is the chapter on some 401k basics, which was only chapter 1 of their C-2 course (which by this date is may be  entirely different, though the basic material should be good) . Questions pop up through out the presentation because, well, I always figured that was the best way to learn. maybe some of the material is outdated, this one was created in 2010.

Chapter 1 401k basics.ppt

ASPPA's "Retirement Plan Academy" is a little pricey, but I think it is well worth it. 

The books are well written and both the material and testing are put through a gauntlet of writers, editors, and reviewers to make sure that it is accurate, understandable, and most importantly that it makes sense to the reader and test taker.

Make sure that they get real world hands-on experience along with their studies.  There is no better way to get the studying to stick than to see it done with real world examples. 

Thank you! I was looking at the ASPPA RPF certificate course to start. Looks like it's a prerequisite to their our courses leading to designations. I see that they offer 50% if i sign them up for all 6 topics at once. However their match seems a little off! They are $155 a piece but their 50% discount comes to $480 instead of the $465!

2 hours ago, coleboy said:

Thank you! I was looking at the ASPPA RPF certificate course to start. Looks like it's a prerequisite to their our courses leading to designations. I see that they offer 50% if i sign them up for all 6 topics at once. However their match seems a little off! They are $155 a piece but their 50% discount comes to $480 instead of the $465!

I noticed that yesterday!  I was looking it up for someone else in my office, and for whatever reason I decided to do the arithmetic and saw the $480 cost as opposed to the calculated $465.

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

See below under Certificate Series for the IFEBP

Certificate Programs

Earn a certificate that can help your professional growth. Please select a program below.

certProgLanding10.jpg

U.S.
Administrators Masters Program® (AMP®)  
Administrators Masters Program (AMP®) – Focuses on the enhancement of the skills that are required for employee benefit plan administration.
Certificate in Health Plan Navigation  
Certificate in Health Plan Navigation – Online training for those helping consumers enroll in health care coverage.
Certificate of Achievement in Public Plan Policy (CAPPP™)  
Certificate of Achievement in Public Plan Policy (CAPPP®) – An in-depth exploration of the building blocks needed for public employee plan governance.
Certificate Series  
Certificate Series – Eight specialty certificates for comprehensive hands-on learning opportunities in each area of total compensation.
Trustees Masters Program® (TMP®)  
Trustees Masters Program (TMP) – The pinnacle event for advanced-level education, leadership mastery and trustee networking.

Canadian
ftmslogo.jpg  
Foundations of Trust Management Standards (FTMS™) – Assessment based certificate program to equip trustees with the questions to ask and where to go for answers.
atmslogo.jpg  
Advanced Trust Management Standards (ATMS™) – Setting the standard for trust management through integrated, assessment-based education.

International
Certificate in Canadian Benefit PlansCertificate in Canadian Benefit Plans – Provides a solid foundation in the employee benefit and human resource practices in Canada.
Global Benefits ManagementGlobal Benefits Management – Proven source for building a strong foundation in international benefits.
Wharton Investment Courses  
Wharton Investment Courses – Premier investment courses to build your skills in portfolio oversight and give you the tools you need to make informed investment decisions.

• 2 weeks later...