Sign in to follow this  
Belgarath

Ugh - sadly, perhaps too true to be humor!

- The problem with political jokes is they get elected. ~Henry Cate, VII

- We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~Aesop

- If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these State of the Union speeches, there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven. ~Will Rogers

- Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato

- Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river. ~Nikita Khrushchev

- When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow

- Why pay money to have your family tree traced; go into politics and your opponents will do it for you. ~Author Unknown

- Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel. ~John Quinton

- Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

- - I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them. ~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952

- A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country. ~ Tex Guinan

- Any American who is prepared to run for president should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so. ~Gore Vidal

- I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians. ~Charles de Gaulle

- Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks.
~Doug Larson

- Don't vote; it only encourages them. ~Author Unknown

- There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on senators. ~Will Rogers

• Like 2

Since women obtained the right to vote the overall percentage of idiots voting has dropped, though probably not significantly. (But then only an idiot would post a comment like this!)

1 minute ago, Tom Poje said:

Since women obtained the right to vote the overall percentage of idiots voting has dropped, though probably not significantly. (But then only an idiot would post a comment like this!)

I wouldn't touch this one with a barge pole!

In addendum, a line I have heard all my life....

"I'm from Texas, where we elect our crooks to high office so someone will keep an eye on them."

These are great - I particularly love the following: 

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~Clarence Darrow

5 hours ago, Belgarath said:

- There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on senators. ~Will Rogers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Planet_for_Texans

Quote from summary in article: 

Silk is welcomed to New Texas with a giant barbecue, where he sees a trial and learns that assassination of politicians is a legitimate part of the New Texan political process as long as the assassin can show that his victim “needed killin'”

If I recall correctly one such assassination and trial was when a politician proposed an income tax.  The defendants were found innocent.  The jury decided that politician just "needed killin".

Other interesting science fiction books that can get you thinking about political systems/philosophy regardless if you agree or not with the author would include by Heinlein:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress  (Also an excellent read in my mind)

Starship Troopers (book not that crime against humanity of a movie) 

My personal favorite from President Reagan... “The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they’re ignorant: It’s just that they know so much that isn’t so.”

The more you observe politics, the more you've got to admit that each party is worse than the other.         (Will Rogers)

When the politicians complain that TV turns the proceedings into a circus, it should be made clear that the circus was already there, and that TV has merely demonstrated that not all the performers are well trained.       (Edward R. Murrow)

Politics: the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.       (Ernest Benn)

No political party can fool all of the people all of the time; that's why we have two parties.     (Will Rogers)

Do we really want politicians setting ethical standards for society?   (me)

"The mistakes made by Congress wouldn't be so bad if the next Congress didn't keep trying to correct them." - - Cullen Hightower.

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators" .- -P. J. O'Rourke

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.” - - Will Rogers