RMDs Multiple Beneficiaries

How do you allocate the RMD after a participant's death among multiple beneficiaries, when no beneficiary is an individual (no designated beneficiary)?  Is it proportionate?  Is there guidance?  This is an individual account plan.  

Example:

Participant P dies in 2018.  His RMD for 2018 was $200,000.  He took out $100,000 in 2018 before he died, so $100,000 remains due.  He has three beneficiaries who each receive $20,000 each and then a 4th beneficiary who will receive the rest.  Assume that, based on the total account balance, $20,000 represents 5% of the account and the amount that represents the 4th beneficiary's interest is 85% of the account.  Assume the remaining RMD of $100,000 is not paid by the end of the year. 

Would the three owe $2,500 in excise taxes (50% of 5% multiplied by $100,000) and the 4th owe $42,500? 

Why would it not be paid by the end of 2018?

As to how to split the remaining 2018 RMD, let me make sure I understand the beneficiary designations.  Is it:  A, B and C are entitled to receive $20,000 each (i.e., like a specific dollar bequest under a will) and D is entitled to everything else?  If so, I would do it proportionately based on the entire account balance.  So, if the entire account balance is $2,000,000, A, B and C would each have 1% of the remaining RMD and D would have 97%.

JPOD,

You do understand the question.  Thank your for your answer.  The approach you suggest is the same one I suggested, and is the one I think I will recommend.  I'm not positive it is the correct approach because I can't find any guidance.  As long as the IRS gets all the taxes it is owed, I don't think it would care, though the beneficiaries might.  The reason the beneficiaries would not be paid out by 2018 is because that was only a hypothetical example.  Of course, all of this will go away if the client submits this for VCP and the IRS waives the excise tax, so the question may become moot.