Engineering SARSEP Plan

We have an engineering client who operates a SARSEP -- a type of plan with which I am not very familiar.  The SARSEP requires a new employee to satisfy the 3/5 rule for eligibility.  This is not attractive new prospective employees with years of experience.  Two questions:

1) Can an employer amend the SARSEP to allow earlier eligibility and, if so, do the eligibility requirements have to be the same for all non-excludible employees?

2) Is there any sort of industry standard for eligibility under a SARSEP?

Thank you!

New SARSEPs couldn't be established after...1996?...but they can be amended so an eligibility change is permitted.  "Standard" is probably "keep everyone out as long as possible" so that's the 3/5 rule.  Odds are pretty good though that it's messed up - are they running the ADP test properly?  Do they know about top-heavy contributions if it is top-heavy?  The few of these that are left would probably not exist if they were actually run properly.

Ed Snyder

Probably fine for a small non-profit, but you specifically referenced an engineering firm.  They are fairly easy, but there are pitfalls for the unwary.  The last one I saw was probably not atypical - owner contributing the max, and when I discussed the SARSEP DP test I was told that another employee was contributing the max on very low income.  Fantastic!  Except that the other employee was his wife.  And 3% minimum top heavy - "what's that?"

Sorry but I've been doing this too long to be anything other than jaded and cynical.

Ed Snyder

I have NEVER seen a SARSEP that was done properly. And I do mean NEVER.  They were advertised like the text book: BRAIN SURGERY: SELF TAUGHT!

Lawrence C. Starr, FLMI, CLU, CEBS, CPC, ChFC, EA, ATA, QPFC
President
Qualified Plan Consultants, Inc.
46 Daggett Drive
West Springfield, MA 01089
413-736-2066
larrystarr@qpc-inc.com

When I used to do SARSEP presentations, I would start out by saying "you show me an in-house administered SARSEP and I will show you a Disqualified Plan".  In addition to the reasons listed in the other responses, most do not understand how to determine the date when an  employee first becomes a participant when other than 0 years is selected when using the 5305A-SEP.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...