On 10/18/17, I received my ERPA renewal letter from the IRS. It says it was issued on 10/1/17 and expires 9/30/20. To the left of that same page, it says, under CE Requirements: "Annual CE Cycle: January through December".

I know that the requirements are 72 hours with a min of 16 per year and 2 of ethics per year. What constitutes each of the three years?

Is it 1/1/17-12/31/17, 1/1/18-12/31/18 and 1/1/19-12/31/19?

Is it 1/1/18-12/31/18, 1/1/19-12/31/19 and 1/1/20-12/31/20? 

Is it 10/1/17-9/30/18, 10/1/18-9/30/19 and 10/1/19-9/30/20?

I think it should be the first but it is very confusing. Any thoughts?

It is my understanding that it's the first.

6 minutes ago, RPG said:

Is it 1/1/17-12/31/17, 1/1/18-12/31/18 and 1/1/19-12/31/19?

• Like 1

D Lewis is correct. When you renewed in 2017, you had to show your CE for the period ending 12/31/16. Your next renewal period is the subsequent three calendar years.

Thanks. That is what I thought but wanted to confirm. Maybe they should give a CE class on how to interpret their CE requirements :).

• Like 2

Yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense.  And one has to apply in May or June for the September expiration date.  And when your completing the renewal form, if you discover your short CEs, well it's already too late to make any up.  Bizarre

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsample said:

Should every ERPA get a renewal letter?  I do not recall ever getting one.

After you renew, you are supposed to get your renewal letter in the mail.  If you haven't gotten yours, contact the IRS and ask them about it.  I had to do that last cycle.  If you send them an email, they are required to respond. When I have emailed them, they have called me within a few days to discuss, and then follow up with an email response to see if everything has been resolved.

EPP@irs.gov

Edited by RatherBeGolfing

I recall at the first ERPA conference in Chicago in 2010, that we indeed did get an hour of credit for learning about how to get more CE.  The woman from the IRS (I think it was Deborah Lorning, but not sure) mentioned she's not sure she would have approved such a class after the fact.

• Like 1