Sign in to follow this  
calexbraska

How do I look up a top hat filing?

Someone in my office claims to have filed a top hat filing for our top hat plan, but she has no record of it.  Is there someplace online I can go to look up the filing?  I tried FreeERISA, but the top hat filings seem to be only available if you have a "deluxe" paid subscription.

It used to be that one could hire Judy Diamond to look up DOL filings.  But some people believe that everything should be free.

Years ago you could send a letter to EBSA asking for a copy of a top-hat filing and they would either send it to you or send you some sort of certification that none existed.  I did this once; don't know if this is still available.

What if they can't find it?  Then you're in some hot water even if you did do it.  I have this vision of an old closet somewhere with a box for each year starting with 1975, all yellowing with age, etc.  

If you can't find it then you use DFVCP and pay $750 or whatever the amount is. 

22 hours ago, austin3515 said:

And file 10 years of 5500's?

From the DOL DFVCP FAQs:

Q16. May an administrator of an apprenticeship and training plan, as described in 29 CFR § 2520.104-22, or an administrator of a top hat plan, as described in 29 CFR § 2520.104-23, participate in the DFVCP?

Yes. Administrators of apprenticeship and training plans and administrators of pension plans for a select group of management or highly compensated employees (top hat plans), may file the applicable notice and statement described in regulation §§ 2520.104-22 and 2520.104-23, respectively, under the DFVCP in lieu of filing any past due annual reports. By properly filing these statements as described in regulation §§ 2520.104-22 and 2520.104-23 and meeting the other applicable DFVCP requirements, administrators will be considered as having elected compliance with the exemption and/or alternative method of compliance prescribed in §§ 2520.104-22, or 2520.104-23, as appropriate, for all subsequent plan years.

When I worked in DC, we'd send a staffer to DOL to get copies of a prior filing--which you could do at their offices---but since the electronic filing of exemption certificates, it's much easier now if she filed electronically within the last 4-5 years.