Need to file short plan year 2018 5500

ESOP Guy

I had an ESOP paid the final benefits in April of 2018.  So the final 2018 5500 is due 11/30/2018.  We obviously don't have the 2018 forms.  Something in the back of my mind says you can use the 2017 forms.  I guess I can extend and by early 2019 we will have the forms but since the company was purchased no one wants to hang around to sign the forms almost a year from now. 

I just can't seem to find it in the 5500 instructions saying we can use the 2017 forms in this case. 

Is my memory faulty or does someone know where it is written saying we can use a 2017 form?

Thanks

if for instance you use FT Williams

Q17: How do I complete a Final or Short Year filing when the form has not yet been made available? Top

If you are completing a filing for a plan that has terminated in 2016, for example, and need to use a 2016 Form 5500, you will need to use the 2015 Form 5500 to complete the filing prior to December 31, 2016, as the DOL does not allow a 2016 Form 5500 to be filed prior to January 1, 2017. Once you have used the current year's Form 5500 for one plan, you may add a second plan under the same company and prepare the second filing (for the short year or final return) on the forms under the second plan. Note: you may want to alter one of the plan name's slightly to differentiate between the two plans in the drop-down box. You will want the plan names to be the same on the actual forms, however. Using a second plan will maintain both filings.