Hello,

My spouse and I have been covered under his previous employer's plan via COBRA since July of last year.  The plan renews in August of each year.  Last year we received no notification of any changes to the plan not coverage.  We did on 8/18 receive a notice of premium increase form the COBRA administrator, but were not able to get summary plan descriptions, etc. for several weeks.  We're going through the same thing now.  When must the administrator notify us of any changes including cost and/or changes to coverage, etc.?  What are the penalties for not complying, etc.?

Thank you!

are you asking the 3rd party COBRA admin or are you calling HR benefits directly?  I wouldn't expect the COBRA admin to have anything but the plan rates (at least none of the 3 companies i've used for outsourcing COBRA handled the SPD or participant questions beyond the eligibility and payment  and continuation piece for us - we still did all the behind the scenes work with the broker and insurance provider)... it would generally be up to the HR department to provide you with SPDs and information beyond the increase in rates.