Old SSAs filed

austin3515

Is anyone aware of a way to request old 8955-SSA's filed from the IRS?  We have a new client who wants to make sure they have D'ed everyone that they A'd as far back as possible (obviously just the ones who have closed their accounts).  they don't have copies internally and the prior provider sent the last couple but that's it.

Austin Powers, CPA, QPA, ERPA

With takeovers, we report old terms who are paid during the year as a D without worrying if they were correctly reported as an A by the previous provider.  If they should have been reported as an A in a  prior year, we assume they were.  We haven't had any issues so far.  If you are talking about people paid in previous years, I think I would be inclined to treat them the same way as long as the client has documentation that they were paid in full.  I doubt the SSA system would even hiccup if someone is reported as a D more than once.

I am with Kevin.  I have always been a firm believer in "when in doubt D". 

I have never had an issue with them coming back saying there were never an A or had been D before.  So I guess you problem might be scope of problem if you do everyone going back what could be decades.  But just doing a D for anyone in doubt shouldn't be a problem in terms of the system.