Catchups ADP & PS (academic exercise)

BG5150

HCE defers $6,000 for 2018. He's over 50.

Employer makes a $55,000 profit sharing for him.  Total Annual Additions $61,000. $6,000 is catch-up.

What do I put in the ADP test?  $6,000 or $0.

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

Ok, here is the twist. 

The ADP test is run with the 6,000 in it and it fails in January and there are refunds.

In August they decide to allocate a profit sharing as mentioned above.  Now, if those deferrals are not in the ADP test, it passes.

Do I have to get those refunds back from people?

QKA, QPA, CPC, ERPA

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

I'm guessing the refunds were to people other than the person with the $6,000 eligible for catch-up?

Otherwise if if failed in January, and that person was the one allocated the refund, it would have been reclassified as catch-up at that point and not actually distributed. 

I would say yes, to try to get the refunds back, unless those participants are otherwise eligible for distributions and want to keep the money. 

I'm a stranger on the internet. Nothing I write is tax or legal advice. 

I'd like a witty saying here, but I don't have any. When in doubt, what does the plan document say?

Catch-ups triggered by the 415 limit are not included in the ADP test.

1.414(v)-1(d)(2) Contributions not taken into account in application of ADP test—(i) Calculation of ADR. Elective deferrals that are treated as catch-up contributions pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section with respect to a section 401(k) plan because they exceed a statutory or employer-provided limit described in paragraph (b)(1)(i) or (ii) of this section, respectively, are subtracted from the catch-up eligible participant's elective deferrals for the plan year for purposes of determining the actual deferral ratio (ADR) (as defined in regulations under section 401(k)) of a catch-up eligible participant. Similarly, elective deferrals that are treated as catch-up contributions pursuant to paragraph (c) of this section with respect to a SEP because they exceed a statutory or employer-provided limit described in paragraph (b)(1)(i) or (ii) of this section, respectively, are subtracted from the catch-up eligible participant's elective deferrals for the plan year for purposes of determining the deferral percentage under section 408(k)(6)(D) of a catch-up eligible participant.

If that means the ADP test now passes, the refunds previously paid are overpayments and need to be corrected under EPCRS.

There are 2 type of Catch-up Contributions.  Values related to exceeding plan or statutory limits, and amounts used to recharacterize excess amounts.  The former are removed from testing.  The latter are created by testing.

Having braved the blizzard, I take a moment to contemplate the meaning of life. Should I really be riding in such cold? Why are my goggles covered with a thin layer of ice? Will this effect coverage testing?

QPA, QKA