Research Tools

EOB online is user friendly and has A LOT of information.  I have looked at ERISApedia but I haven't done a deep dive.  At this point I still prefer the EOB.  This may change as ERISApedia gets going for a few years, and we can judge if there are any major changes to the EOB now that its with Robert Richter at ARA rather than with Sal.

We have both a print copy of the 2016 EOB, and ERISApedia in our office. What I like best about ERISApedia:

• Hyperlinks from the research guide to IRS/DOL/PBGC source material (code sections, regs, rev procs, etc)
  • Easy to browse and search government source material directly (much more so than the Cornell law website)
  • Includes Who's the Employer by Derrin Watson

However I still refer to the EOB for some things that I think it covers better - plan corrections is one. I can't speak to EOB online as I haven't used it.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it. Do not rely on the information provided in this post for any purpose, including (but not limited to): tax planning, compliance with ERISA or the IRC, investing or other forms of fortune-telling, bird identification, relationship advice, or spiritual guidance.

Corey B. Zeller, MSEA, CPC, QPA, QKA
Preferred Pension Planning Corp.
corey@pppc.co

Thanks to all for your responses. I like the idea of ERISApedia because Derrin Watson updated Who's the Employer during the year - rather than waiting for the next addition. I am not sure if EOB does updates during the year (I suspect not). I dislike the extra steps you have to go through (logging in to ASPPA/ARA) to get to the online version.

56 minutes ago, msmith said:

Thanks to all for your responses. I like the idea of ERISApedia because Derrin Watson updated Who's the Employer during the year - rather than waiting for the next addition. I am not sure if EOB does updates during the year (I suspect not). I dislike the extra steps you have to go through (logging in to ASPPA/ARA) to get to the online version.

Im pretty sure EOB online updates during he year when something significant happens.

Its been a while since I spoke to Chuck at ERISApedia, but they price their different research tools separately.  So the comparable product to the EOB would probably be their QP eSource.  Whos the Employer is also available from them but as a separate product, so I wouldn't call it "included" (but you do get a discount) You could also get Whos the Employer from EP and the EOB from ARA if you wanted to.

Not sure what extra steps you take for the EOB, I have the EOB page bookmarked so with my credentials I go straight to the EOB rather than navigating ARA first.

I really like EPs prospecting tool.  I have played around with it and I think it could be useful. 

Price wise I think they are pretty similar, but if you get more than one product from EP you get a discount so that would probably be in their favor.