Spouse lost coverage; FSA enrollment mid-year?

Hi,

My spouse covers me and my son under his employer's insurance. We did not enroll in flex spending, either medical or dependent care with either of our employers for 2019. My spouse is quitting his job and we will lose coverage as of 8/31. My employer is allowing us to enroll in all plans we lost under my husband's plan (medical, dental, vision) but has told us we are unable to elect medical or dependent flexible spending. Is this correct? They sent me the SPD(?) and I read through it but couldn't find anything saying I could or couldn't enroll. I'm in NJ, if that matters.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, RPAS said:

This is document driven meaning whether or not they allow you to get in the plan mid-year is a plan document decision. If they are saying they cannot let you in mid-year then your plan doc has that provision. 

I do not know if I would be that absolute with your answer.  Yes, the plan doc is important.  But to say “if they are saying they cannot let you in mid-year then your plan doc has that provision” can be wrong because it is possible the staff is giving out wrong information.