Jump to content

Pension Trust Form 5471/Foreign Corporation Filing

Recommended Posts

I represent a large defined benefit master trust which has been advised by its tax adviser that it may need to file a Form 5471 (Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations) because it owns over 10% of a foreign investment that qualifies as a CFC.  This form is supposed to be filed with an income tax return (or, if applicable, partnership or exempt organization (Form 990) return).  The trust is not otherwise required to file a Form 990 because it has no income to report.  Does anyone have experience with a trust taking the position that a Form 5471 is not required under these circumstances because there is no required tax return?  Or is the trust required to now file a Form 990 (reporting no income) so it has a tax return to which the Form 5471 can be attached?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...