Extension for Form 5500 Denied

ConnieStorer

Has anyone else had their Form 5500 extensions denied?  We have had two clients contact us this week regarding the extension letters they just received from the IRS that said their extension was denied.  One client that had two plans had one plan extension approved and the other plan extension denied.

I have never seen this happen before.

Sounds like someone at the IRS messed up.  The 5558 instructions say:

Applications for extension of time to file Form 5500, Form 5500-SF, Form 5500-EZ, and/or Form 8955-SSA that are filed on or before the return/report’s normal due date on a properly completed Form 5558 will be automatically approved to the date that is no later than the 15th day of the 3rd month after the return/report’s normal due date.

Do you have proof of when they were mailed?

I haven't had that problem, but have in the past had clients receive "your 5500 is late" letters when an extension was timely filed.  A phone call to the IRS resolved it each time.   Of course, I had to get a 2848 signed and wait on hold... 

@BG5150 We have gotten two of them.  both were completed properly and mailed in the same batch as all the ones we have gotten the automatic approval on.  

@ConnieStorer, if you look just above where it says "additional information", does it say that you didn't file your request on time?  Also, do you know when your 5558 was postmarked and when it was received by the IRS?

I have reached out to ASPPA GACs Reporting and disclosure committee to see if they have had more incidents reported.

Apparently there are more rejections of forms received after the deadline than usual, but you still need to follow up on each one at this point.  If you do it via phone you may be able to fax all of your rejections and proof of mailing on the the same call.  It depends on the who you get but I have done that with similar issues in the past.

We have gotten some rejections as well.  The funny thing with our is that they were mailed in one envelope and for the ones we have gotten letters back on some were approved and some were rejected.  So far the "s" clients have been rejected.  Does the IRS separate them when they are received?

Why is there an extension, anyway?  Seems to me to be just a waste of everyone's time and paper.

I have asked the IRS this via a few submission options but no one ever responded.

CBW

We've had 5 extensions denied in a batch of 15 that were sent in; 2 approved, and haven't heard from the other clients yet. I FINALLY got through to the IRS. Clearly a breakdown in IRS correspondence because she told me the address to send the appeal to was on the CP216H. If it was, I wouldn't have called. So, to save you all some hold time on the IRS (took 4 days of "call back the next business day" + 15 minute hold today), You have to send a copy of the extension plus proof of timely filing to Internal Revenue Service, Attn: EP Accounts Unit, MS: 6552, Ogden, UT 84201 or fax to 877-792-2864

ASPPA is in contact with the IRS

ASPPA Seeks IRS Action on Form 5558 Acknowledgments

BY 

KIZZY GAUL

OCTOBER 2, 2019

GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS

ASPPA has received several reports of incorrect Form 5558 acknowledgments or extension denials being received by plans that had timely filed to extend the filing deadline for their 2018 Form 5500. In some instances, the acknowledgments are reflecting the extension deadline of Oct. 15, 2019 for off-calendar plan years. In other cases, the extension is being denied as not being timely filed.

ASPPA’s Government Affairs Committee has been in contact with the IRS to receive guidance on the most efficient resolution. It is important that plan sponsors read their Form 5558 acknowledgment letters (i.e., CP 216 or CP 232) closely to make sure they are correct. If an incorrect acknowledgment letter or extension denial is received, the plan sponsor should write a letter requesting reconsideration and providing an explanation regarding the incorrect acknowledgment letter. The letter should be sent to the IRS address listed on the acknowledgment letter, and a copy of the incorrect letter should be included with the correspondence.

The IRS will review the request and provide a corrected acknowledgment letter. In no instance should Form 5558 be refiled after the filing deadline.

ASPPA’s Government Affairs Committee will continue follow up with the IRS to determine the cause as well as continue to advocate for electronic filing for Form 5558 to assist in eliminating these issues.

Kizzy Gaul, JD, CPC, QPA, QKA, TGPC, is Manager, Regulatory Supervision, at Prudential Retirement. She also is a member of the ASPPA Leadership Council.

William C. Presson, ERPA, QPA, QKA
bill.presson@gmail.com
C 205.994.4070

21 hours ago, Bill Presson said:

ASPPA is in contact with the IRS

Bill where did you find this?  I just realized I don't get any communications from ASPPA; maybe going to spam and I can't say I mind b/c they were pretty crapped up with useless info so that important stuff like this gets buried.

Ed Snyder

The redacted IRS approval letter linked in that ASPPA article can go in the Humor section. The letter dated 7/30/2018 says the extension requested for the plan year ending 11/30/2012 has been approved to 9/16/2013. I've had them take 4 or 5 months to process an extension, but not years.

Hi Bird - Wednesday e-mail from ASPPA:

ASPPA-Connect-Header-V3-15_154645.pngOctober 2, 2019