Letter saying 2017 not filed when it was

ESOP Guy

I know there is a large thread about getting rejected or bad 5500 extensions.  I just got a letter saying a client's 2017 5500 wasn't filed when I can prove it was.  

Not a problem just wondering if anyone else has gotten and if there is an emerging pattern here also?

Was there a change in EIN from the previous filing?  The ones we've had where the sponsor changed EINs, the IRS has been sending letters saying the 5500 wasn't filed under the old number.  They either are not getting the information on the prior filing in line 4 from the DOL, or they are just ignoring it. This has been a problem for a long time.

1 hour ago, Kevin C said:

Was there a change in EIN from the previous filing?  The ones we've had where the sponsor changed EINs, the IRS has been sending letters saying the 5500 wasn't filed under the old number.  They either are not getting the information on the prior filing in line 4 from the DOL, or they are just ignoring it. This has been a problem for a long time.

We figured out the EIN is the issue shortly after I posted this.  The odd part is the change was in 2012 and this appears to be the first time we are being asked.  So it took them 5 years to notice it and wonder why.