Cashing out 401k

hawkeye1959

I am posting this for a family member

Sister was an employee with Farm Fresh supermarket and has a 401k with Supervalu  which owned  Farm Fresh but  closed and sold them all.   She is 61 years old and looking to  close this account and moving the money to a money market savings account.   She has not contributed any funds to this 401k since the closing of Farm fresh.   Would there be an issues doing this and if you can help with info on  the process of getting the money that would be appreciated.     Supervalu is also doing a merger with another company to form UNFI

She needs to speak to the plan administrator at her former company, who should have paperwork they can send her to facilitate the distribution.  Since you said she was an employee .... I am assuming she no longer is. 

4 out of 3 people struggle with math

Correct she is no longer an employee of Farm Fresh which was owned and sold by Supervalu.   She kept her job at the store with the new owner which has no connection to Supervalu or  Farm fresh.  He somehow made a deal to maintain the Farm fresh name on some of the stores he purchased from Supervalu.

13 hours ago, hawkeye1959 said:

Correct she is no longer an employee of Farm Fresh which was owned and sold by Supervalu.   She kept her job at the store with the new owner which has no connection to Supervalu or  Farm fresh.  He somehow made a deal to maintain the Farm fresh name on some of the stores he purchased from Supervalu.

Okay, them my answer stands! She shouldn't have any problem getting a distribution.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math