Question for those with CPC Designation

I am contemplating whether to first get the TGPC designation or work towards my CPC designation (I have completed the pre-requisites).  I see there is a governmental and tax-exempt module in CPC, but not sure how comprehensive it is.  I work on private, governmental and tax-exempt plans.  I have more experience on the private sector side and would like to gain more expertise on the public sector side. I would rather begin the CPC and take the governmental module unless that module is not very comprehensive.  Thoughts?

Thank you!

Do CPC first.  The modules are not very comprehensive, but overall that designation takes more time anyway, so if you are going for both you are better off starting the one that will take the longest.  The modules are pretty brief and are designed more as an introduction rather than a deep dive.

Thanks RBG!  I felt a when I was studying for the second test of QPA that I was wasting a lot of time learning DB calculations, etc.  which has nothing to do with my job.  Was attempting to avoid this in the next round.  How long did it take you to complete the CPC?  Thanks again.

If you work with gov't plans, then, the TGPC will give you the deep dive into that marketplace, and equip you with that specialty market knowledge.  To be fair, I am the co-author of "The Source:  403(b) & 457(b) plans" which forms the bulk of the curriculum for the designation; thus, may be biased.  

Thank you for the insight.  I do work in that space as well.  I definitely plan on taking the courses. I prefer to complete the CPC first just to knock that out.

Can anyone speak to time it took you to complete CPC...assuming diligent study.  If over 1 year, then I may start with the TGPC first.

Thanks again.  

They obviously changed up the requirements - back in the 2000s it was just a matter of taking the C-3 and C-4 exams after getting the QPA.  But those had essay questions to them, too, if I recall.