Severance package to a terminated employee

ratherbereading

Participant term'd  December 2019.  The company wants to now give her a severance package of $30,000 and wants her to be able to defer from it.  My inclination is she cannot defer from it.  They want to instead now say it's a bonus, but I still say no based on this wording under Compensation: The payment would have been paid to the Participant prior to a severance from employment if the Participant had continued in employment with the Employer.    Which it would not have been.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math

In case a reader is unsure about the above italicized reference, the OP is quoting IRS Reg. 1.415(e)-3(ii)(B).

I wonder what the Plan says.

I'm a retirement actuary. Nothing about my comments is intended or should be construed as investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Occasionally, but not all the time, it might be reasonable to interpret my comments as actuarial or consulting advice.

4 hours ago, ratherbereading said:

Participant term'd  December 2019.  The company wants to now give her a severance package of $30,000 and wants her to be able to defer from it.  My inclination is she cannot defer from it.  They want to instead now say it's a bonus, but I still say no based on this wording under Compensation: The payment would have been paid to the Participant prior to a severance from employment if the Participant had continued in employment with the Employer.    Which it would not have been.

It's a simple issue: is she EMPLOYED or not?  If she is no longer an employee, then she cannot defer.  If they have continued her employment (which it doesn't sound like is the case), then she can defer. They can call it whatever they want, but the issue is whether she is still an employee.

Lawrence C. Starr, FLMI, CLU, CEBS, CPC, ChFC, EA, ATA, QPFC
President
Qualified Plan Consultants, Inc.
46 Daggett Drive
West Springfield, MA 01089
413-736-2066
larrystarr@qpc-inc.com

14 hours ago, Larry Starr said:

It's a simple issue: is she EMPLOYED or not?  If she is no longer an employee, then she cannot defer.  If they have continued her employment (which it doesn't sound like is the case), then she can defer. They can call it whatever they want, but the issue is whether she is still an employee.

No, she's not. Thank you, Larry.

16 hours ago, david rigby said:

In case a reader is unsure about the above italicized reference, the OP is quoting IRS Reg. 1.415(e)-3(ii)(B).

I wonder what the Plan says.

Actually, I am quoting the adoption agreement. 

Isn't the quoted language indirectly countenancing a bonus accrued during employment but paid following termination? Mr. Starr is a walking authority but if the money in question had been an accrued bonus would she not have been able to defer from it, assuming it would have otherwise qualified as compensation for deferral purposes per the Plan document? If so and the payment can be defended as an accrued bonus...

20 minutes ago, FPGuy said:

Isn't the quoted language indirectly countenancing a bonus accrued during employment but paid following termination? Mr. Starr is a walking authority but if the money in question had been an accrued bonus would she not have been able to defer from it, assuming it would have otherwise qualified as compensation for deferral purposes per the Plan document? If so and the payment can be defended as an accrued bonus...

It's not really a bonus, they just wanted to call it that.  It's a severance package given to her post-retirment, which she would not have received had she continued employment.

2 hours ago, FPGuy said:

But it ISN'T an accrued bonus; the original posting said this: "The company wants to now give her a severance package of $30,000 and wants her to be able to defer from it."  And if a deferral would to occur from a legitimately accrued bonus, then the deferral applies ONLY to the actual year of deferral.  While you relate back an accrued bonus (if you follow the specific rules), you cannot relate back to the prior year a deferral.

Lawrence C. Starr, FLMI, CLU, CEBS, CPC, ChFC, EA, ATA, QPFC
President
Qualified Plan Consultants, Inc.
46 Daggett Drive
West Springfield, MA 01089
413-736-2066
larrystarr@qpc-inc.com

3 hours ago, Ellie Lowder said:

FPGuy, she can defer from pay that would have been paid had she left or stayed, provided the amount is paid by the end of the year following the termination, or within 2 1/2 months, if later.  

ratherbereading, what Ellie Lowder is pointing out is that money is fungible. If she has other amounts coming to her for work she did before termination, she may be able to defer from that and replace it with the $30k severance, from which she cannot defer.

Luke Bailey

Senior Counsel

Clark Hill PLC

214-651-4572 (O) | LBailey@clarkhill.com

2600 Dallas Parkway Suite 600

Frisco, TX 75034

We offer a severance plan (funded and audited) and you cannot defer.  We can take money out to pay 401(k) loans, but that's about it.  Like Luke said, we inform people about the severance well in advance so they can work out if they can put more into the 401(k) while working knowing that there will be a big chunk of money coming once they retire.  We also cash out Annual Leave which we CAN defer into a 401(k).